- 1 How to start woodworking business
- 1.1 Plan your business-
- 1.2 1. What is the cost involved in opening a woodworking business?
- 1.3 2. Calculate the ongoing expense of a woodworking business.
- 1.4 3. Decide your target market!
- 1.5 4. Create a marketing plan
- 1.6 5. Decide the price for your products
- 1.7 6. Research the sales venues
- 1.8 Establish a Workshop
- 1.9 Insurance and licensing:-
- 1.10 How to make your business more profitable?
- 1.11 Come up with a name for your business!
How to start woodworking business
Plan your business-
- It’s obviously the most important thing to start any business. You can’t just go and randomly start any business without planning so you will have to make sure you know the specifications for the business to start. But how to plan? Don’t hesitate to ask this question because a lot of people don’t really know that, so we have prepared some outlines which will help you to plan your business.
1. What is the cost involved in opening a woodworking business?
- The first thing you will need to start a woodworking business is the capital so you should be aware of that. The cost of opening any business is a crucial matter and you have to take every aspect of your business into consideration.
- The cost would involve the raw material, woodworking tools, and equipment, computer, business cards, advertisement expense, a shop or office where you can make the wood crafts and manage your business and other miscellaneous costs such as electricity, water, etc. It would be helpful if you narrow down the list of costs and what amount you will be spending on opening the business.
2. Calculate the ongoing expense of a woodworking business.
- It’s not just about the opening cost cause you will have to see what will be the ongoing cost of your woodworking business. The ongoing cost will include staff expenses, tools such as nails, other utilities, and supplies.
3. Decide your target market!
- It’s important that you know your target market so that you can know for whom you are making products and how much you need to spend. For example, if your target market is the elite classes and the rich people then you must invest a lot in marketing, in finishing and hiring the skilled staff. Or you can make affordable products for the middle class. Either way, you should be aware of the needs of the customers.
4. Create a marketing plan
- Now that you know who is your target customers then you can now make a marketing plan and let your potential customers know about your products and business so that more and more people will be aware of your business and more people would like to buy products from you.
- Marketing is nowadays more digital than just the ads on tv or newspaper (although they still work too). So you can hire a website designer and put all the information about your business and products. You can also establish an online business and take the order and deliver the products directly. This will enhance your market reach and expand your business growth as well.
5. Decide the price for your products
- It’s also important that you decide a price for your products that cover the investment cost, suit your targeted customers, and is profitable for you. You can hire a CA who is specialized in deciding a price for the products so that you don’t have to sell the products at an unreasonable price.
- Your price will depend on the kind of product you are selling, your geography and the quality of your products. So you can’t just randomly put a price tag on the goods.
6. Research the sales venues
- The place where you are selling the goods is definitely a crucial part of your woodworking business. Your sales venue can have a lot of impact on your business. There are multiple platforms where you can sell your wood products and they also vary according to the type of product you are selling.
- If you are selling home decor items then you can try to sell them to retail shops, you can sell the furniture products at the furniture malls, you can also sell your goods at craft markets. And lastly, the online platform which works for all of them!
Establish a Workshop
- So you have planed your business a bit but you will still need a workshop where you can make wood crafts and goods. And that’s why the workshop might be one of the most important factors of your woodworking business. But opening a workshop isn’t an easy task because you still have a lot to do and consider so many things so that you come up with a perfect workshop.There are a few factors which you should know about before establishing a workshop.
- It should have enough space which can hold the requirements for the production of products.
- It should have a separate place to secure the material and tools (maybe a kind of room where you can lock this stuff).There are many advantages to the workshop as well, first of all, you may get some relations from the taxes. Having a workshop will make you more professional for your work. And it will make your work life easier and more balanced.
Insurance and licensing:-
- To start any business you will need a license and it is also important for your woodworking business regardless of what products you are making. You will surely need an attorney who can help you with establishing a legal structure for your business and help you to come up with a structured and well-established business plan. It will help you to protect your assets and decide the business goals.
- Once you have decided on the business structure, you will have to apply for the license as well. Having a license will help you get the necessary permits that you will require throughout your business. It’s actually a pretty straightforward process so you don’t have to worry about it much.
- The next thing that should be on your list is insurance. You have to come up with an insurance policy that will protect your business as well as your assets. It will protect if anyone gets injured or any damage appear to your equipment. And you can also enroll in theft insurance as well.
How to make your business more profitable?
- This one might be the most asked question and it’s surely on your mind when you are thinking about opening your own woodworking business. See your profitability demands on what kind of products you are making and what is your brand value. If you ask us, you might wanna emphasize your brand value and assure your customers that you are providing the best quality products.
- You can also try out different marketing strategies to enhance the reach of your products on a large scale. And as we have mentioned above you might wanna take the help of digital marketing. Just come up with a good marketing strategy and advertise your products to the right customers so your sales will go up which would directly result in more profiting business!
Come up with a name for your business!
- Now that you have planned your business, decided what kinda products you wanna sell, who will be your targeted audience, and what will be your marketing strategy. But for all these things to work you have to come up with a name for your business. A lot of people take it very lightly and that’s a mistake you would wanna avoid. Come up with a name that is relatable, sounds attractive (catchy) and of course it has to be unique too.